xkmph.com

Username
Password

Brats Incorporation - xKmph Old Silk Route Road Trip

*ShoutBox

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow [Road Test/Riding Impression]  (Read 4351 times)
tannyTopic starter
gimme fuel, gimme fire
Global Moderator

Biker Rating 1014

I call her RiV

Max. Speed Attained(Kmph): 145+ [HD SuperLow 883]
Referrals: 0

Mood:

Awards
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:50 PM »

EXTREMELY SORRY FOR THIS VERY LATE UPDATE OF THE REVIEW

HARLEY DAVIDSON 883 SuperLow

Its here
Once we all used to watch those American Classic movies and used to fantasize about those big bad machines with tractor-like fat tires, wide handlebars & shining chrome parts. Though you might not find many bald muscular men with kickass tattoos in India, but if you happen to live in a posh society you might notice one of those very noisy bikes with a sticker that reads “HARLEY DAVIDSON” (and yes, they are not modified Enfields anymore).
The Harley Davidson SuperLow 883 is the most basic model on offer from the legendary bike makers and it shares its heart with the much popular Iron 883. With the introduction of this model, HD has strengthened the possibility of finding a Harley Cruiser in garages instead of the middle-weight sportsbikes.

The Bike
‘883 SUPERLOW’, quite a lot about the bike is there in the name itself; as the first ‘883’ signifies that the engine is from the popular Iron 883 whereas the ‘superlow’ surprises us by the eerily less ground-clearance of 100mm and seat height of 500mm. Now that’s a very concerning feature if you are looking to ride this bike anywhere other than the divided 4-lane highways. The Iron’s undercarriage used to kiss the ground at any 120mm obstacle, now further lowering this bike has made it a surprisingly low-slung cruiser. Riding on it was almost like getting our ass scratched on the road. But yeah, on a good road with beautiful sceneries, riding it would be like sitting on a sofa with your legs spread and watching Nat Geo.

883cc RAW
With the inflating prices and a very unstable economy, most of us might be cursing the US-of-A. But for some speed enthusiasts like us, we still admire the Americans for their development of the V-Twin engines. Finding its huge success in the Mustang and numerous muscle cars, the V-Twins also made their way to the two wheeled speed tools. Though the Japanese Inline-parallel engines are still un-beaten in terms of reliability and overall performance, the HEAD-HAMMERing torque of a V-Twin is still a benchmark.The Superlow, comes with an Air Cooled Fuel Injected 883cc V-Twin that delivers a whooping 69Nm of Torque at 3500RPM.
Now let’s hear the story it wrote on our review day. Put on the key and a very few lights and visuals welcomed the rider. Pressed the “Engine Start” and it was like an airplane ready to take off. First rode around at a conservative pace trying to be familiarised with the huge structure that weighed double my own bike. After a while I got comfortable and was now ready to jump off my pit lane. Twisted my wrist a bit extra and the amount of force was wild enough to take my left hand grip off the handle as I was used to a mere 15Nm torque all these days. With all my guts and glory I started running the rings with this bike and its character was getting revealed and I was accustomed to it pretty soon. The HD reacts the same way it looks, its very very RAW and untamed. The Power delivery is very exciting yet the bike doesn’t really go dangerously fast. The initial adrenaline pumping take off is very enjoyable and the sound is exhilarating. Ones who are not familiar with its sound might easily imagine a Chopper landing nearby. Quite obvious due to its RAW nature, the Superlow is quite a vibey bike, that is also due to the fact that it is an air-cooled engine, and perhaps the same reason why HD riders sit with their legs wide open,THE HEAT from the engine is quite hazardous. After cranking it up there seemed to be a torment between my legs and the murmur of the engine beneath the seat is quite alarming if you happen to have a weak heart. During the ride, once I had touched 145kmph at 3rd gear which had presented me with one of the fiercest moments of my life, as the sound was deafening, the sparks from the footpeg at the corners and the vibes travelling through my body left me with my heart pumping at twice its normal rate. In a short note, “This is a BAD BOY’s Bike” and that’s how the Americans like their cruisers, “RAW”.

Ride & Handling
Though its a very big bike a real heavy one, once you’re on it, all that muscle only shows up in the form of speed and power and not as any sluggish metal that you have to balance with your own skills. Being ultra low in height there is that extremely balanced and planted feel when you ride this bike. Having a straight handle bar makes it pretty easy to ride and even though its power delivery is a bit wild type to feel, but in reality the rideability of this bike is quite good. However when it comes to real life handling, its good only for the straight long highways, everywhere else the ground-clearance makes it a difficult bike to take fast corners and negotiate nimble chicanes. On our hill ride I went very tight on the curves and got some nervous moments as the bike could only take very less tilt and the foot pegs would come in contact with the tarmac. However, on good roads and long stretches the ride comfort is mind blowing and munching miles at 130kph is quite attainable with this SuperLow. Just a little disappointed when I jammed in the brakes as I found the braking of the bike a little weaker for its price tag, however I assume that might be a reason of our Sportsbike riding style in which the brakes are a bit front biased whereas in cruisers the braking is a bit biased on the rear wheels. Altogether the bike handled better that I expected at my first look.

Impression
Doesn’t matter whatever I write in this column, if you’re riding a HARLEY DAVIDSON it doesn’t matter whatever the spec-sheets, reviews, critics or other riders say. At 5.5lacs, this is the most enviable bike one can buy which will earn in you maximum respect.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:29:04 PM by tanny » Logged

RUNNERs UP in

tannyTopic starter
gimme fuel, gimme fire
Global Moderator

Biker Rating 1014

I call her RiV

Max. Speed Attained(Kmph): 145+ [HD SuperLow 883]

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:30:11 PM »

UPLOADED finallly!
sorry for this never ending delay guys, i was caged in the studios for a long time, din't have my laptop available!!

RUNNERs UP in

Joe Rocks
Offline Moderator

Biker Rating 732

Max. Speed Attained(Kmph): 122 kmph on Bullet Electra

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »

I used to refresh  this thread, atleast twice everyday and look here boy!!

JoE..

Follow Our Great Escapade

http://xkmph.com/ladakhonwheels/b

~ Speak less.. Ride More ~
~ Ride Hard.. Ride Safe ~
~ Wear a lid, before you speed ~
D_J
Truly xKmphian

Biker Rating 506

Max. Speed Attained(Kmph): 119 Kmph

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:31:25 PM »

truly said........in terms of performance, a harley can never be criticized !!

@tanny......can u tell me the exact road price of this beauty  (I mean road tax etc covered ) ??.

The Real Voyage Of Discovery Consists Not In Making New Landscapes , But In Having New Eyes !!!
kptsher
Jr. xKmphian

Biker Rating 70

Max. Speed Attained(Kmph): 120 kmph

Mood:

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

@ Tanny ...Enjoyed reading the review and as a HOG member would endorse it too ... The ground clearance needs getting used to and after some time one can more or less tell in advance where one has to be extra cautious ... however on unfamiliar terrain there is always the likely hood of the unseen speed breaker turning up when the speedo is in the three figure range. Your review has taken quite some time and now its almost a year since the ride ... The experience of owning a HD has been exhilarating and one gets to make a lot of good like minded friends ... I personally wouldn't mind owning other bikes but the Harley would always be my first choice.
@ D-J the price as mentioned cost Rs 5.5 lacs ex showroom another 18k and its on road with Insurance and temporary registration ... that leaves us with registration costs which may differ from state to state ... In Sikkim it cost us around 35 k while in W.B, Darjeeling it cost my friend only 12k. Then there is the transportation cost involved thats if you get it from Delhi (cost us around 25k) .. and a few grands extra if you want to pimp it up  ... but the good news is that the showroom in Kolkata is opening next month ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

CATCH XKMPH ON :

xkmph.com

All Rights Reserved by xKmph.com ( a part of xKmph India )
xKmph.com is proudly powered by XKMPH INDIA